Step 4

Step 4: Register in SAM and DSBS


Once you have obtained your DUNS number and have identified your industry codes, you will need to register in SAM (System for Award Management).  Registering in SAM will set your business up for electronic payment (Electronic Funds Transfer—EFT) on federal contracts and will establish a Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) code, a five (5) position code that provides a standardized method for identifying companies and is used to support a variety of mechanized systems throughout the government.  There are two parts to the registration.

PART I:  Registration in SAM is accomplished by first creating a user name and pass word online at  On, click Sign-In to get started and to Create an Account.

PART II:  Login to SAM and begin your representations and certifications process.

Submit a notarized letter that names the SAM Entity Administrator using these instructions within 30 days of completing your registration.

Template 1: Single Entity

Template 2: Multiple Domestic Entities

Submitting Notarized Letter to Federal Service Desk

The letter must be notarized, scanned and submitted to the Federal Service Desk ( ). The new Entity Administrator must have an individual SAM User Account created with the e-mail address provided in the notarized letter. Follow the steps below to submit the scanned notarized letter to the FSD:

  1. Log in to
  2. Click Create an Incident.
  3. Select System for Award Management (SAM) in the System Name field.
  4. Select SAM: Notarized Letter in the Issue Type field.
  5. Fill out all remaining fields.
  6. Select the Paperclip icon to add attachments and attach your scanned notarized letter.
  7. Once you have filled out all required information and attached your notarized letter, click Submit. 

Register in DSBS (Dynamic Small Business Search)

Registration in the DSBS can only be done while updating or completing your SAM registration.  This site is used by government agencies and prime contractors to find small businesses that can meet their government contracting or subcontracting needs.  You will have the option to list keywords and a narrative that best describe your business capabilities so be as accurate and succinct as possible to make it easy for others to find you!

Your Hawai’i PTAC offers FREE counseling services to help your business and work with you on understanding the many portions of the SAM registration.  

Hi-PTAC also has a Hawai’i Notary Public.

%d bloggers like this: